JUDICIARY

edited February 2013 in Constitution Review
In nigeria our leaders ar nt making use of the constitution especially the judicials bcos they don't make judgement with the statement stated in constitution

Comments

• God will help us.
  • It appears like our nation is blessed with a rotting head. To some of them our constitution is just a compound of ordinally words & alphabets.
    The law only agreed to work on lower class people.
    See, Owo magistrate court 1 jailed 63 year old ground father for stealing items & money wholth of 55 thousand naira for past times.
  • Badecious and EbiraAdayi1, your position does not seem to reflect the true state of situation in the judiciary. Members of the judiciary including judges uphold the Constitution as the primary duty of the judiciary is to interprete the law.

Judgments are delivered by Judges after carefully examining the case before them as put forward by the lawyers of both parties. Thus, there is a tendency for judgments to vary from case to case as facts differ from case to case.

A man who steals commits a crime which is punishable under the law. The age of the accused does not determine his guilt or innocence. It can however be a factor to be considered in sentencing.

The judiciary still upholds and follows the Constitution and the law.
  • What i think affected that man may be something like financial hardship. With his money proof will emerge to his favour that he is not a thief as he was not caught at the scenery of the incidence & at that moment of time. Am i speaking?
    If yes, why our reality have to tied wt money.

This is same court using adjournment process to target one bail revock or a case dismissal by inability to cope with court condition in some case.
  • What do we have to say over John Yakibu (a police pension thief) 2 years sentence by justice Abubakar, with option, compare to this old man case.
    When will every body be equal before justice in Nigeria? I am asking !!
  • What do we have to say over John Yakibu (a police pension thief) 2 years sentence by justice Abubakar, with option, compare to this old man case.
    When will every body be equal before justice in Nigeria? I am asking !!
  • I hate to have to say this but equality is a mirage in any society.  Justice itself does not denote equality, we must pay attention to the peculiarities of all circumstances.  That is why young persons cannot be imprisoned with adults, why pregnant women cannot be sentenced to death and why bigamy is a dead crime.  The Courts do their best to interprete and apply the law to every situation.

Even though it seems odd when a man who steals 20,000 is sentenced for the same term as one who has stolen 20 million, it is equality not justice.  Justice is flexible and Judges have tough decisions to make.  Let us visit a court room on a free day and listen to proceedings, it will give a clearer understanding