Should GEJ grant amnesty to Boko Haram?

edited April 2013 in General
I still don't understand reason why GEJ choose to grant amnesty to these perpetrators that has continuously vandalized valuable properties and killed innocent citizens for no tangible reason.

I totally dispute Mr. President's decision of granting amnesty to this terror squad called Boko Haram that has not only posed huge threat to security system of the country but held the whole nation to ransom for too long.

As far as I’m concerned, the evil doers that have masterminded these deadly acts must be brought to book and should be left to face the wrath of the law.

Comments

• I'm becoming suspicious of GEJ and his policies. This shows how weak the security system of Nigeria is. America had similar situation few years back when the WTC was attacked by group of terrorist. Their government made proper investigation and those that were found guilty were brought to book. So tell me people, of what importance is this amnesty is? Or is GEJ trying to encourage terrorism in Nigeria? Does he mean a group of terrorists that has no pity for human lives will just go unpunished? My point is "GEJ's proposed move for amnesty to Boko Haram is inappropriate".
  • Humble_ray, you are not alone on your views in this regard. It is pitiable that the activities of the government propose an “amnesty cure” for criminal acts. It started with the Niger-Delta militants who were granted amnesty by former President Yar’Adua in 2009. The grant of amnesty to the Boko-Haram sects is seriously being considered as a viable option. And quite recently, the Abia State Governor is said to have proposed amnesty for kidnappers in the state as a way to reduce its menace.

There is a need for fundamental issues of good governance to be addressed as a lasting solution to these problems. Nigeria cannot get to great heights this way. Like I always end on issues like this, God bless Nigeria.
  • GraGra
    edited April 2013
    I will never support this idear of giving amnesty to criminals lake boko haram. I think our country nigeria is giving a room for terories. I wish fed govt should investigate this issue & if found any person involve in the act should face the rout of the law.
  • In one other hand: if boko haram will no seize fire, i will advice that federal government to give orders to JTF to fire on and fesh those terories out, that everyday are killing the ennocent citizans of our beloved country nigeria.
  • Gra, I see you are strongly against the grant of amnesty to the Boko Haram sect, your argument and point of view is also shared by a lot of people. Though the president has the Constitutional right to grant them amnesty (Section 175 of the 1999 Constitution), there are arguments as to whether it is in the interest of the public to grant amnesty vis-a-vis finding a solution to the problem. That is, would the grant of amnesty solve the problem or will it lead to more insurgencies in other parts of the country.

The matter is now before the Boko Haram Committee. We pray the committee decides well and provide a lasting solution.
  • Are you guys crazing talking about let those animals go free?
  • My country, I am not putting forward any position. I have only stated the position of things and what the law says about it. The matter is before the committee. Let’s see what comes out of it. You can air your views about what you think though.
  • Please who is Boko Haram and what cause are they agitating for?' Are they' enshrined in the constitution or are they for peaceful assembly and purposeful direction. So who is the amnesty going to be given to. These truths should be made glaring to the eyes of the 'public' as this sect has caused wanton destruction to lives of innocent citizens and property.
  • Thanks everyone for your concern and for contributing towards the growth of our beloved country.

Security system in Nigeria needs to be strengthened and addressed properly for the betterment of our lives. We live a society where the government is a friend of boko haram. We live in the society where terrorists get presidential handshake. We live in the the society where heartless millitants are celebrities. We live in the society where the masses sleeps with one eye closed.

If the govermment can't tackle security issues then Nigeria is a failed state.
  • Patrick, it is true as you have noted that Section 40 of the Constitution guarantees the Right to Peaceful Assembly and Association, it is also true that one man’s right stops where another man’s rights begin. As such, I am predisposed to your argument.

Humble_ray, I cannot agree more. 
  • Humble-ray,u are right 4 wht ever u say.i knw nigeria does not have a good govt,we just hve teroris govt.
  • Their is fire on the mountain and nobody seems to be on the run...Dear GEJ, once again I would like to bring to your notice about the dilapidating security system of our beloved country Nigeria. I hope you watch the daily news to see with your eyes what your fellow dialogue pals are doing to innocent souls? I hope you are fully aware of blood sheds at your backyard? I hope you know what sparing a life means? And for how long are the masses going to continue living under stiff encumbrance on their own soil? These are questions that needs to be reviewed. I would appreciate if you treat as urgent.
  • edited May 2013
    Brief and incisive. Would be posted on the facebook page shortly. Hope it gets to him.
  • No GEJ should not offer amnesty to Boko Haram. If he does that then it is for his own selfish political ambition. Nigeria does not belong to a particular set of people. It is for all of us. Let not live in fear but let's face our fears.
  • Abrahamobayendo, your views are noted, your post is appreciated.
  • The declaration of 'state of emergency' by the president is applaudable. I really commend him for taking this drastic measures. Yeah peace must be restored!!!
  • Humble_ray, thanks for your post. 

This view expressed by you is echoed by a lot of people also. We appreciate not just the declaration but the forceful manner in which the president declared it. The military has swung into action and we hope the best happens.

As an aside, my views as well as that of my colleagues regarding amnesty and the prerogative powers of the president under Section 175 of the 1999 Constitution was published in yesterday’s edition of Thisday Newspaper. It was a succinct discussion of the subject matter.
  • It gladdens the heart to know that people still care.  That finally we are waking up to the reality that the Government is not infallible.  The position of the law stated by Babade is correct.  The President is empowered to grant amnesty but is it the right thing to do?  I am wary of unguided criticism because I am willing to wager that there are factors at play which we know nothing about and perhaps posterity (and God) will have the answer to this question.