Judiciary position on legal matter

Hello people i wonder why there is no fairness and equity in judgment.imagine 10 years imprison for aomeone that steal goat and 6 months for a politician rthat steal 50 billion naira

Comments

• It is true, I here is a victim of greed and corruption in Nigeria today I suggesting let look into religious that had been gathering most of our youth today especially girls I mean eg catholic/anglecan and other warehouse churches So it is them that took control of people and in the name of God Now they have left the well known church buildings which was built to render services on Sundays Went and clear bushes then hosting people there in midnights called it vigil or adoration taking control of there minds in name of God and they do whatever they preached them to do Now this is my question can such gathering bring enlightement or educatively nor bring congregation's interest towards government development and progress/Education
  • @Sunmyson, thanks for your inquiry. The Laws that governs the way criminals are to be treated are the Criminal Code Act, Criminal Procedure Act and the Administration of Criminal Justice Law (for Lagos State). The Criminal Code stipulates the offences that are punishable and the punishment for each of the offences.

Section 383 (1) of the Criminal Code in defining Stealing states that “A person who fraudulently takes anything capable of being stolen, or fraudulently converts to his own use or to the use of any other person anything capable of being stolen, is said to steal that thing”. The punishment for stealing is in Section 390 of the Criminal Code which is imprisonment for three (3) years. As such, someone who steals a goat ONLY cannot be imprisoned for ten (10) years. However, if that same individual is found guilty of other charges by the court, that person can be imprisoned accordingly and could be made to serve the terms concurrently.
  • @Sunmyson, the second part of your question talks about politicians serving lesser terms than you feel they ought to serve. Corruption cases are governed mainly by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (Establishment) Act. The Criminal Procedure Act, the Administration of Criminal Justice Law (of Lagos State) as well as the ICPC Act are also applicable.

In relation to the question asked, the technical term used according to the Law is called “Plea Bargaining”. What occurs in this procedure of criminal justice delivery is that the accused person pleads guilty to lesser charges for lesser prison term upon conviction after he must have surrendered all the incriminating materials (or money) in his procession and stated all the incriminating facts available to his knowledge.

This procedure originated in the UK where it has been very effective in criminal justice delivery. However, the procedure seems to have been abused in Nigeria in the selective application of this procedure. I am one of the proponents advocating for the removal of this procedure from the Nigerian criminal justice delivery system.

The introduction of plea bargaining seems to have done more harm than good to the criminal justice system of the country.
  • @AdiliejeOnyebu4, I think you seem to be arguing that the Nigerian youths spend more than with religious activities than political activities and that the docility of the youth to political activity will cause more harm than good to the society.

If that is the case, to a large extent, your argument could be valid. However, there is the need to understand that religious organizations are agents of socialization in general and agents of political socialization in particular.

World over, great political leaders and those who have impacted on the political history of nations have been strong affiliates of one religion or the other. Of great importance is Martin Luther King Jr., the man who made the famous “I have a dream” speech. He was the Pastor of Dexter Avenue Baptist Church in Montgomery, Alabama, USA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Luther_King,_Jr.)

Despite his strong religious affinity, he was politically relevant. Thus, the facts that youths spend their time on religious activities does not hinder them from exercising their political right.